Jan 9, 2011

Oldest Surviving Gospel Fragment

This fragment is generally accepted as the oldest surviving fragment of the New Testament found in Egypt.

John 18:31-33

the Jews, "For us it is not permitted to kill
anyone," so that the word of Jesus might be fulfilled, which he
spoke signifying what kind of death he was going to
to die. Entered therefore again into the Praeto-
rium Pilate and summoned Jesus
and he said to him, "Thou art king of the
Jews?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the reverse side: John 18:37-38

a King I am. For this I have been born
and (for this) I have come into the world so that I would
testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth
hears of me my voice." Said to him
Pilate, "What is truth?" and this
having said, again he went out unto the Jews
and said to them, "I find not one
fault in him."